top of page

Itaewon Class -- Episodes 7 & 8: Survival of the Fittest or Is it the Smartest

Min Jung and Sae Royi teaming up was most definitely a good move. To defeat a more formidable enemy, Sae Royi has chosen to be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness, becoming extremely mysterious, soundlessness even in the hopes of fooling his enemy into thinking him a fool, and when the enemy lets down his guard pounce. I like the way his mind works. As they say, the enemy of my enemy is my friend – a good plan if it works.

I keep thinking, wouldn’t it have been more beneficial for the President to mentor his son to become his successor rather than disparage him all the time. He made him what he's become, teaching him that life is survival of the fittest, not the smartest, so why demean him for not being smart at every turn when all he's doing is what he's been taught.

I didn't expect to get so emotional by Yi Seo, but the way she reacted to Sea Royi'ss hardened life and pain made me feel the depth of her feelings. It touched me deeply. The President thinks money makes one powerful, but there is a big difference between being powerful and relying solely on that power and feeling powerful. Feeling powerful is inner work—it’s all about connecting with one’s strengths and capabilities. Power is not just about perceived success, money, or status. Instead, it comes from a deeply rooted belief in oneself, and it's what makes Sae Royi a powerful force to be reckoned with in the long. I will give it to him though, the President is very good at what he does, but there is an equal and opposite reaction for every action. I cannot wait to see what comes next.

As expected, the President believes power is obtained by money and wealth rather than by acts of love. To be schooled by Sae Royi in that power based on the love of those who matter most is a thousand times more effective and permanent than the one derived from fear of punishment -- that must have been quite a blow. True, Yi Seo is selfish, ruthless, and downright insensitive, but what appeals most about her is that she is a straight shooter with no hidden agendas, and more than that, she learns from her mistake and is not averse to changing her ways. People with great passions who accomplish great deeds and possess strong feelings, with great minds and a strong personality, rarely come out of good little boys and girls.

While Yeo Si can often act ugly and unsympathetic, I don’t think she is prejudiced so much as she doesn’t care to understand other people's feelings nor share in anyone else’s pain except Sae's -- this, of course, does not excuse her behavior. She is, however, open to change and developing a relationship through interactions with Sae -- I like that about her. Sae Royi might have solved the immediate issue at hand, but the President will not take any of it lying down. He is ready to go after what Sae cares about most. It's all-out war now!

0 comments

Related Posts

See All
bottom of page