top of page

Beyond Evil -- Episode 11 Grief, Loss, Regret and Friendship

Such an emotionally charged episode; the delivery is on another level. I always find myself gripped by Beyond Evil's events and its characters alike. They say grief is the price one pays for love in all its forms.

I felt Dong Shik's pain in his loss for a sister and a parent as a teenager and now even more for losing a mentor and an avid protector and leader in Chief Nam Sang Bae (Chun Ho Jin); my heart breaks for him. Before I delve into the episode, I feel compelled to put in a word for Lee Do Hyun in teenage Dong Shik's role, memorizing in every sense of the word. He made me feel all sorts of emotions in his grief over his sister's loss. Without a doubt, loss and regret instill harsh realities that what's done cannot be undone. It forces one to face the passage of time, the loss of what once was or could have been, and right with it comes that undeniable feeling of guilt, followed by anger and despair. They say the power people have over their regrets is in how they respond to them. But at the same time, rage, vengeance, anger, loss, regret; all tremendous motivators. They clear the mind and set the purpose, and I could clearly see it as it settled on Dong Shik's face. And I don't fault him one bit if revenge is the route he decides to take because I am enraged for him. Sometimes no words are needed to convey one's emotions or sentiments. That is exactly why Yeo Jin Goo is the anchor to Shin Ha Kyun's powerhouse acting; their moments together are just brilliant.

There's nothing like a loss to mend broken fences or at least build temporary bridges; I loved Joo Won for his silent resolve to stand by his colleagues in their time of grief, especially Dong Shik. But more so, I like that Dong Shik, Jae Yi, Ji Hwa, Ji Hoon, Joo Won, and Park Jung Je decided to trust each other in their quest for the truth. Of all the characters, Park Jung Je touches me; maybe it's the sadness that seems to be all around him, in him, with him. A thousand kudos to Choi Dae Hoon (I love the way he talks) for portraying him so effortlessly, for making me care for him as much as I do. I feel his hopelessness every time he's on-screen. Despite Park Jung Je's reveal, I still don't think it was him; his toxic mom, yes, but not him.

They say it's the unassuming ones one should always keep a watch out for; I was so wrong to suspect Chief Nam as the Congresswoman's police insider when it's been Sergeant Jo Gil Goo (Son Sang Gyu) and Munju's Station Chief Jung Cheol Moon (Jung Gyoo Soo) all along -- talk about unassuming. I kept wracking my brain, thinking, imagining what Chief Nam might've found out or suspected I doubt he even knew. That it had something to do with the Councilwoman and Lee Chang Jin doesn't surprise me one bit. I am inclined to believe Joo Won's father when he says he isn't involved with Dong Shik's sister, but he's hiding something from 20 years ago; if it isn't about Dong Shik's sister, then what; I wonder.

That the stories and secrets Manyang keeps close have evolved from just its serial killings proven by both Chief Nam and Kang Jin Mook's death. I've always suspected that Lee Chang Jin (he sure is a piece of work) and Councilwoman Do were closely tied to what happened to Dong Shik, well more, to his sister. They had the most to lose; you're willing to do whatever it takes to keep it, even sacrificing your son and the sons of others. I love this drama.