top of page

Beyond Evil -- Episode 7: Evil Exists

What a brilliantly penned, directed, and acted episode. Everything from the dark and foreboding setting to the score and the actors' demeanor was just beautifully captured and delivered. I'm going to go as far as to say this is the best, if not one of the best I've seen of both Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo.

It's been said the worse form of justice is pretense justice; it makes total sense that Dong Shik became a cop and a detective for that matter because of the injustices he's suffered as a teenager at the police's hands. Now, that can change a person. Since then, he's chased after the people who've not only committed injustice against him but buried the truth for all those years. I so appreciate Dong Shik's demented mind; I am glad he's on the side of good. I can only imagine how twisted a psychopath he would've been.

It's crazy how Dong Shik chanced upon Jin Mook in the act (great acting), or else none of the people in the town or the police in Munju would've ever suspected him or even believed him capable of any of it. I know serial killers don't need a reason to kill; the pleasure is good enough. But I can't stop thinking about what may have triggered Jin Mook to go after Min Jung; it's not like she blew his cover; she didn't even know he was a complete act so, something must've trigged him. As expected, Dong Shik set everything in motion. He placed Min Jung's severed fingers on Jin Mook's stoop because he knew that reporting it wouldn't guarantee his guilt without bodies and concrete evidence.

There's something about Choi Dae Hoon as an actor that I really like especially how he portrays Park Jung Je; there's a sadness about him that breaks my heart. In essence, there's something about Manyang and its festered secrets that tends to complicate everything that happens there. Nothing is easy. I didn't foresee Jae Yi (she's beautiful) finding Min Jung's phone of all people. I was sure it would be Joo Won, but he's never too far off.

As smart as Dong Shik and Joo Won, maybe Jin Mook is always a step ahead, and I am sure he's planned for the day he gets caught. It's almost scary how the show has already revealed the killer, and not only that but he was caught red-handed; I can only imagine how much worse things are about to get from here on. I cannot wait to see how things unfold now. I love this show! Watch Episode 7 here.