top of page

Chimera -- Episode 2: Who or What is Chimera?

Although there have been many dramas about serial murders, Chimera is unique in that the criminal uses home-made explosives with oxygen as a main element, a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and undetectable gas, along with a trademark Chimera lighter with the intent to cause the most possible damage. But what is Chimera?

Based on Greek mythology, Chimera means "she-goat", a monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature composed of different animal parts depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat protruding from its back, and a tail that may end with a snake's head. It's a term used to describe any mythical or fictional creature with parts taken from various animals, perceived as wildly imaginative, implausible, or dazzling.

With that in mind, I get the distinct feeling that whoever or whatever was involved in the incident 35 years ago, be it the police, or those who knowingly or unknowingly birthed, the need for someone to take such drastic actions to be heard is rooted in the past. And it's the same reason why I believe Jae Hyun (I'm almost sure the person who was in the car when it blew up 35 years ago was his father), Euegne, and Joong Yeob (he may be the son of the man falsely accused 35 years ago), partnering together to unravel the connection and hidden truths isn't a coincidence. Each with their own motives about discovering the real criminal, incident, and truth. In that sense, the premise reminds me of the drama The Guest.

How Euegne fits, I'm still not sure, but I know she does. It may be too early to theorize, but I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being chimera, as I have a strong impression the culprit is a woman. But then there's Reporter Kim Hyo Kyung (Cha Joo Young). I am not sure why, but from the moment I laid eyes on her, I didn't like her. Actually, the more I saw of her, the less I liked. I appreciate the grit and tenacity of reporters as they seek to uncover truths, and that sometimes they may have to do immoral things to get to it, but to snoop in a detective's phone, and not even apologize for it now that's unscrupulous. It's hard to tell what drives Reporter Kim this early in the drama, but I get the distinct impression it may be more than uncovering truths. I may be wrong.

I've always been intrigued by why police, detectives, and other law enforcement professionals can't admit when they make mistakes. I mean they are only human, and it's all too natural that they may make mistakes. So why knowingly attempt to cover it up rather than try to fix it, even as the opportunity presents itself 35 years later, that's what I find hard to stomach. It's so true when they say the root of all human constructs is, well, humans, the only real source of evil.

I recognize, it's always easier to notice other people's mistakes, but the problem isn't bad people covering up their mistakes, it's good people, denying the evidence to preserve their belief in their goodness. And Captain Han Joo Seok's inability to confront the fact that he contributed to an injustice based solely on his refusal to share information with Jae Hyun is an excellent example, but I am sure he wasn't alone in the cover up. The cruelty by which this chimera uses to out the truth is uncalled for, no amount of injustice justifies it.

There is a lot to like about Chimera, there is mystery, suspense, explosives, serial arson and killing, cover ups, heinous crimes, potential underlying tension, but first and foremost it has a cunning, creative diabolical villain who seems to always be five steps ahead. But at the same tone, it also has humor in the engaging, level-headed, yet relatable Jae Hyun, who doggedly pursues a clue even at the risk of his own life, adds to all that the promise of unexpected shocking twists that could potentially make the story unforgettable. Watch episode 2 here.