top of page

Dark Hole -- Episodes 11 and 12 (Finale): Out of adversity comes opportunity.

For a drama that gave off a resident evil-like vibe, it surely quickly changed to more of the Avenger Age of Ultron kind of feel where resentment developed over time because of humanity's brazen maliciousness and corruption in the face of the many injustices leads one person to participate in the eradication of all those they believed deserved to be punished, acting in the capacity of judge, jury, and executioner, which threw a wrench in my theory that the dark hole/monster was manufactured, an experiment that went haywire.

If there is anything Dark Hole does well is clearly articulate that disasters tend to either make leaders or cowards out of humans. Leaders like Detective Kim Ok Bin and Yoo Tae Han would do whatever it takes to protect their fellow citizens or selfish cowards like the Shaman and the gangster who take advantage to wreak havoc and destroy. So, I guess in that sense, it wasn't a surprise for me to finally find out Dong Rim was the host of the monster born out of humanity's misery, even if I was a bit disappointed by it.

However, it does make sense that the one person who's had the strongest aversion to humans for their shameless and hateful disposition. And that despite being a victim, Dong Rim couldn't help but become the very thing she despised, proving she's nothing more than human herself. It is the very reason the dark hole descended to punish, and even though the reveal shed light on the why the drama itself doesn't really explain the how. Dark Hole is not a typical zombie drama, making it an even more exciting watch. It was funny, disgusting, and at times scary -- based solely on people's emotions and perceptions.

The different perspective the drama takes in combining zombies, mystery, shamanism, science fiction, and horror altogether that is amplified by emotions, ranging from injustice, rage, fear, anger, disgust, and even anxiety, all of which are regulated by an opposing range of emotions that clearly signify that disasters tend to either make leaders or cowards out of humans. I liked Dark Hole for what it was; an entertaining drama that set out to demonstrate that disasters typically bring out the best — not the worst — in people. Disaster survivors tend to respond in overwhelmingly "positive" ways: make rational decisions for the most part and cooperate with others to address immediate threats. Out of adversity comes opportunity.

Dark Hole is not a drama that will win awards, but it is a drama that tries to impart quite a few meaningful messages. One of the most significant is not to give hate a chance because it may allow for the deepest desires to become the deadliest when one does it. And that humans, more often than not, are their own worst enemies, for, at times, the monsters that rise from the dead are nothing compared to the ones humans carry in their hearts. And the most powerful message of all is that whoever fights monsters should see that they do not become monsters in the process. As they say, if one gazes long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into them. I enjoyed Lee Hwa Sun and her great fighting skills but loved Lee Joon Hyuk in the role of Yoo Tae Han the most. A man of action rather than words. So different than his role in the Stranger series yet just as appealing. Watch Dark Hole here.