top of page

Devilish Judge -- Episode 1 & 2: Judge lest Ye be judged

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again" ~ Matthew 7:1-3

What is there to say about Ji Sung other than he's a brilliantly emotive actor that I wouldn't miss out on for anything, and especially not a head judge of an alternate anti-utopian universe playing a Korean version of Judge Dredd, an American movie about a dystopian, crime-ridden chaotic world who in their bid to combat crime, replace the traditional justice system with a corps of Judges whose role combines those of police officer, judge, jury, and executioner. Ji Sung looks breathtakingly fantastic; it's clear he prepared for this role, body, and mind.

I can't wait to find out what Head Judge Kang Yo Han (who seems more like a King than judge) is all about, a man who's not afraid to use a gun to tip the balance of right versus wrong. Hero or foe, I know I am on his side. On the other hand, there is Jung Sun Ah (Kim Min Jung); it's great to have her back on the small screen, the last drama I saw her in was Mr. Sunshine, and I enjoyed her badassness in that. I love the way she talks, and based on what I've read about her role in this, it will be a battle of wits between her and Ji Sung, with Park Jin Young (Kim Ga On) being the stabilizing force reason. Who could ask for more in a drama that combines sexy with quick-witted banter and intelligent moves and countermoves coupled with catchy OSTs; sign me up! To me, Ji Sung will forever be Jo Min Hyeok from the drama Secret, my all-time favorite role for him.

The idea that the Devil Judge lives in an "alter" universe means there has to be another world with dopplers' Kang Yo Han, Jung Sun Ah, Kim Ga On, Yoon Soo Hyun (Park Gyu Young), and the others. It would explain why Yo Han feels so different at night. Seems almost fake, like someone with ulterior motives. There also appears to be a history that connects him, and Kim Ga On is what way though remains to be seen. Throughout the episode, I kept thinking how bad could the Judge really that Kim Ga On is skeptical of him, but then I saw the last scene with the older woman, and all of a sudden, it became clear nothing is what it seems for sure. But if the Judge isn't what he seems, does that mean that neither Kim Ga On, Jung Sun Ah, or anyone else who they seem; now, that is the million-dollar question.

Ji Sung is such a treat to watch; I don't think I've ever seen him in a similar role before, it's only the first week, but he's already killing it. I get the sense nothing is what it seems with Yo Han or how he measures' or even applies justice. Whatever it may, he undoubtedly has an elaborate game plan, and it involves everybody from Kim Ga On to the Social Responsibility Foundation to the Minister of Justice Cha Kyung Hee (Jang Young Nam) and even President Heo Jung Se (Baek Hyun Jin). I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was the one that picked Kim Ga On to be on his courtroom reality show. I get the feeling he's purposely provoking Ga On; maybe it's because he sees himself in him before life happened to change him, or maybe there is more to the story only time will tell. He seems to be at least ten steps ahead of everyone, though.

Getting a glimpse into Yo Han's childhood gave me a bit of perspective into him and his beliefs, that he is dangerous and harbors a lot of resentment towards people, and his father, most of all, is quite obvious. It was not a happy childhood, that is for sure. Rather than feel suspicious of Yo Han, the Priest's story disgusted me. He knew the whole class was bullying young Yo Han and did nothing, yet he called Yo Han the devil, dumbfounding. As for Kim Ga On, I love how pure and naive he is and that simplistic black and white way of seeing life. The only thing that bothers me about Ga On spying on Yo Han is Supreme Court Judge Min Jung Ho (Ahn Nae Sang); why would he send a novice judge to spy on a seasoned judge who believes to be corrupt; seems amateurish. I am curious if there is more to his story.

I like Ga On and Soo Hyun's relationship. It quite evident he has feelings for her just as she does him. I understand why he doesn't confess his feelings to her. He would rather have her as a friend than a begrudged ex-girlfriend. Jung Sun Ah is not an easy one to read. She seems almost obsessed with Yo Han. He, on the other hand, does not like her, not one bit. I wonder why; I am dying to know how and why they all connect because they all do somehow. The camera work, cinematograph, and editing are stellar. Watch Episodes 1 & 2 here.