top of page

Mr. Queen - Episode 11: Royal Court Politics

Mr. Queen is brightness itself, be it in its writing, acting, or delivery. I don't think there are enough adjectives to describe Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun other than transcending in their acting -- outstandingly distinguished, the both of them. Today's episode had a completely different tone; it was breaming with sabotage and conspiracies; it felt like things were coming to a head. That said, I love how so very different yet so similar the Queen and King are in their purpose and resolution in a court full of plain-featured evilness. Their cross-wired messages were the dose of much-needed laughter, and they were the highlight of this episode.

I knew Concubine Hwa Jin would do what she did; this was never about love; for her, it's always been about entitlement and arrogance. It's incredible how the Queen Dowager and Hwa Jin can dilute themselves to equate their evil acts as dispensing justice or getting what's rightfully theirs; I guess self-absorbed people can only see others' faults but are often blind to their own weaknesses, cowardice, and ignorance. When you play with fire, you're bound to get burnt, be it the two of them, the Grand Queen, Kim Byung In, or his father. One of the best fighting scenes, hands down.