top of page

Happiness -- Episodes 5-8: The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions.

I can't say who is worse in Yi Hyun and Sae Bom's apartment building. It's truly a toss up between psycho wife killer Joo Hyung, the creepy 6th floor lawyer Gook Hae Sung (Park Hyung Soo), selfish resident representative Oh Yeon Ok, Seong Sil's husband Kim Hak Je (Hong Soon Chang) and his greedy, overenthusiastic, selfish v-blogger son Kim Dong Hyun (Kang Han Saem). The more I think of it, the more I've come to believe they are all crappy humans with little, if not much moral responsibility or ethical concerns for anyone but themselves. When the apartment owners, self-righteous proclamation is nothing more than a cover, a way to exaggerate their sense of worthiness over other people.

Could one's inherent human instincts for survival drive them to be so cruel to their fellow human beings? How does one's social status matter in a life or death situation, but more, how could that be used as a bargaining chip? I have to confess I was astounded when Joo Hyung offered money to anyone who would go outside the safety of the apartment for food. I figured none of them would be stupid enough to take him up on his offer. None of them would want to jeopardize their safety for money they couldn't even use. I was wrong, five residents took him up on the offer, forcing Yi Hyun and Sae Bom to come along to ensure their safety. At least I know that masked Andrew (Lee Joo Seung) isn't one of the worthless ones. I liked how he helped keep Seong Sil's son safe, as well as the apartment cleaning lady.

The minute they all stepped out, I was sure something awful would happen to them. I held my breath in from the time they stepped out of the apartment building, got to the supermarket, picked up supplies, and headed by to the apartment. I couldn't believe they could safely navigate through the infected, but what I didn't expect, and I am not sure why I didn't, is that Yeon Ok would refuse to open the doors to them, leaving them stranded. But worse than her, was Joo Hyung blasting the alarm system to draw the infected towards the group, all that to get rid of Yi Hyun and Sae Bom. Park Seo Yoon opening the door for them at the last minute was relief. Yi-hyun finally breaking down and attacking Joo Hyung with bloody hands for endangering him and Sae Bom, making him believe it was from the infected, and watching him scream out of his mind in panic was the best moment ever. He had it coming a long time.

I am not sure how Sae Bom or Yi Hyun can keep their sanity, but also for the calm manner they always handle the different needs of the residents. Everyone has an opinion of how things should be done, but none want to lead or even take care of issues. For the most part, it seems like they are the only ones attempting to keep everyone safe besides Kim Jeong Gook and Hyun-kyung. So Yi Hyun finally losing control felt a little unexpected, since he is the calm one. I expected it from Sea Bom, since she is the rash one, since she tends to act before she thinks, but then who wouldn't when someone as psychotic as Joo Hyung tries to murder them.

I was desperate for Trainer Kim Seung Beom (Joo Jong Hyuk) to be okay. I was so disappointed to watch him turn, that Sae Bom and Yi Hyun were right about him all along. He did take the blue pill and was indeed infected. But beside from him, I was even more disappointed by Na Hyun Kyun's (Park Hee Bon) actions. She knew he could potentially be dangerous, was there to guard him, yet freed, and left all the doors wide open for him to run ramped all over the apartment building, which he could've easily done if he hadn't been struggling to control his desire for human blood. I agreed with Yi Hyun and Sae Bom, Han Tae Seok didn't have to kill Seung Beom, he was truly making a tremendous effort to control his thirst and may have overcome it with time.

I am not even sure Hyun Kyun stumbling into Han Tae Seok in the parking lot as she ran for her life was lucky because he's always mal-intended when it comes to Sae Bom. But that said, I was glad they could control Seung Beom before things got out of control with him. I was surprised by the connection between Yeon Ok and Seung Beom. I know he told Yi Hyun that he sold the pills to Kim See Hoon (Han Joon Woo) from the penthouse, but I get the feeling he may have been lying about that. I wouldn’t be surprised if Yeon Ok was actually the one dealing with drugs in the apartment complex, because from the state of her apartment, it looks like she and her husband may need the money.

Every time I saw Han Tae Seok in action, I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. I wondered if I would've handled the virus better than he if I were in shoes and knowing what he knows, and I don't have a clear answer to that. Nevertheless, I can't find comfort in his choices to find the cure for the outbreak, particularly since he has a personal stake in the decisions made. So, I can understand Sae Bom and Yi Hyun's animosity towards him. Simply because his intentions are good doesn't mean his methods are, as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And that was so evident in the way he used Seo Yoon to trick Sae Bom and kidnap her. I suspected Sea Bom would eventually turn without a full antibody, especially since her wound wasn't healing. But I also know she's important to the cure, but he should've tried to gain her trust rather than trick her. He makes it so hard to like him, but despite it I like him because I know what drives him.

I loved how Yi Hyun deceived Joo Hyung into believing he had the upper hand, with the pills when it was Yi Hyun that did. The expression on Joo Hyung when he realized he was tricked was the most satisfying of the drama to date. To imagine that people can for no reason turn into each other when they are fully capable and able to help each other in their hour of most need, choose to scheme, plan, and deceive friends and family, and turn on each other for their own greed makes me cringe. I expected it from the cunning resident representative, her husband, and psychopath Joo Hyung, but not Yi Hyun's friend, Jeong Gook. But unfortunately, humans are wired to survive and will do whatever it takes to stay alive. My second favorite moment this week was the way Han Tae Seok pretended inferiority and encouraged Chairman Choi's arrogance, and those with him believe their wealth and power gave them monopoly over the cure. The way he made them believe they were the first to the cure, while actually using them for the cure, was brilliant. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the week's episodes. Watch Happiness here