top of page

Hello -- Episode 1: 37 going on 17

Choi Kang Hee excels at the single woman down in her luck stuck in a continuous rut like no other and is the role she plays in this drama. It reminds me of her role in Heart to Heart. Each day plays out the same as the day before, with no relief in sight. She wasn't always like that as a teenager; she was full of life, revered by her friends, both females, and males and vote the most likely to succussed but all of that changes on the day she turns 17, leading her to live an empty life.

On the other hand, Kim Young Kwang plays a chaebol heir to Joa Confectioner, who has lived his whole life doing whatever he wants with no set goals or ambitions. His father tires of his lack of motivation and decides to cut him off to teach him a lesson, and as events unfold, his antics land him in jail, where he meets Bahn Ha Ni (Choi Kang Hee) for the first time, and that sets the stage for their future entanglements.

I like that Hello, Me! is simple, funny, and fun all in one. One can never go wrong with Choi Kang Hee, in a fantasy rom-com drama, narrating in her head what she wouldn't dare say out loud works so well. But what works more is that she's opposite Kim Young Kwang in this drama; I had forgotten how tall he is; he plays the spoiled, bratty 30-year-old who's never worked a day in his life rather well. Despite reading the synopsis, I hadn't realized Ji Seung Hyun would have a part in this drama; what a pleasant surprise. However, I did know Eum Moon Suk would, and boy, am I loving him and his knack for the grandiose; it suits him perfectly. He had me smiling from ear to ear.

And how about Jang Ki Yong and Lee Soo Hyuk's cameo, and in the first episode, nonetheless. That was a treat. One of the things that got me curious about this drama was the close similarity to wonderfully done 18 Again. I was interested to see how the drama would handle the body transformation aspect; I'm thoroughly impressed. Rather than transform into her younger self, it seems Ban Ha Ni will co-exist with her – what an exciting and refreshingly brilliant take. Watch Episode 1 here.