top of page

Jirisan -- Episodes 7 & 8: Things They Gained in the Fire

I wondered what it must be like for Hyun Jo to wake and find his soul locked in his head locked to see everything going on around him, to want so badly to speak, or make a noise to observe everything going on around him, yet the world is so oblivious to what's going on in him. What made him get to that state, and it suddenly dawned on me, it was his need not only to protect the mountain, but also to protect Yi Kang. He's been waiting for her from the moment of that dreadful accident to the time he heard her voice through Dae Won's radio.

As hard as it was to witness Hyun Jo's desperately trying to communicate with Yi Kang, I was glad he did it even if through Dae won. At least now, Yi Kang knows he's the one who's been communicating with her from the mountain. His desperate attempts to grab the radio time again proved it to me. In that sense, I like that they both have this bond that transcends time, life, and death. Even as a roaming soul, Yi Kang still believes in Hyun Jo, and more she trusts him implicitly. What I didn't expect was Dae Won would come across the real killer so soon. I had hoped Yi Kang and her would have more time to gather enough evidence to get the authorities involved, and hopefully help Hyun Jo come down the mountain and into his body.

I found it hard to empathize with the herb lady after everything she did. Not only did she blame the rangers for her and her husband's misjudgments and ultimately his death, but she continues with the poor choices that left her widow. As much as I disliked her and hated that the rangers and her children had to be put in yet another dangerous situation, I was glad that the rangers, especially Dae Jin, Yi Kang, and Hyun Jo, got another opportunity to prove to her that their job isn't to stand in the way of her livelihood, but to protect the mountain, the people that visit despite the many dangerous choices they make, and the mountain's natural resources and are willing to lay their lives on the line for it. Park rangers are protectors. They protect the land from the people, the people from the land, the people from each other, and the people from themselves.

Ever since the reveal of Hyun Jo's soul trapped in the mountain, I have wondered what happened to them. The only thing that makes sense is that Hyun Jo probably got another vision of someone trapped or about to die on the mountain, and they both rushed up to save them and got caught instead. This makes me desperate to know who the real killer is, especially now that Dae won's life may be in danger too. I can understand why Yi Kang trusts Dae won as the new comer, which makes me anxious about who the real culprit may be. Could it be one of the rangers; I desperately hope not. I like all of them. It would be a huge blow to Yi Kang and Hyun Jo, especially to find out they've been working, living with a psychotic serial killer this whole time, considering how much fun they all seem to have when they are together. I am still very bothered that we haven't glimpsed the team lead, and Yang Sun in 2020. Watch episodes 7 & 8 here.