top of page

Law School -- Episode 16 (Finale): Law and Justice Are Not the Same

Never mistake law for justice. Justice is an ideal, and law is a tool — LE Modesitt Jr.

Professor Yang's ending narration of the law is an imperfect justice. Still, it must be perfect for those who teach and learn it, for there's nothing more violent than an unjust law is the ideal ending to an imperfect drama that was better than most. I am sad to see it come to an end; I enjoyed it. I was more than grateful to have Kim Myung Min grace my small screen; he is one of those actors I genuinely appreciate, from his voice to his facial expression and mannerisms. I will miss him and the unique way he approached the role of Professor Yang, who gave his all to his students while at the same time demanding the best. He wanted his students to know they have it in them to be the best. As Maya Angelou said, if you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be. And how fitting that in the end, he had Han Joon Hwi and Kang Sol A by his side.

I liked all the actors, each for their very individual approach to their roles, from Lee Jung Eun as Professor Kim to Lee Soo Kyung as Kang Sol B, and Lee David as Seo Ji Ho. Go Yoon Jung as Jeon Ye Seul, Hyun Woo as Yoo Seung Jae, and the rest of the wonderfully talented cast who clearly articulated that as much as the choices they each made changed them, it didn't define them -- do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better, Maya Angelou. Of course, I would be remiss in not giving a special mention to the fabulous Kim Bum in how he portrayed Han Joon Hwi, who never once let the circumstances around him sway him from his principles. And much-gained respect to Ryu Hye Young as Kang Sol A, who, despite all odds, perceivers if not shines in an environment that wasn't set up to help someone with her background succeed.

In its unique way, the drama touched and addressed some aspects of the many dilemmas it brought up nicely, especially the issues it presented in date rape, sexual assault, physical abuse, corruption, political manipulation, and crime and murder. But at the same time, it was quite vague in addressing the consequences of more prevalent issues such as bribery, hacking and cheating, plagiarism, principles, and the fragile line between good and bad -- evil done in the name of good, or evil done in the name of evil, which is worse, isn't it the same in the end. I am not entirely sure the show lived up to its motto of truth and justice only by the law. The message I take from Law School is law and justice are not always the same; justice is an ideal, and law is the tool as someone much smarter than I said. Watch Law School Here.