top of page

Lost -- Episode 11 & 12: Strangers are but Hopeful Friends Waiting to Happen

Despite this not being a tragic or distressing episode, it was touching and emotional. It brought me to endless tears, yet made me laugh. I admire how the drama takes its time, nothing is ever rushed, not even the dialogues, but more than other episodes, this one was elegantly done. But then I am always mesmerized by Boo Jung and Kang Jae when they are together. The anticipation and longing on Kang Jae's face when he saw Boo Jung through the police station window was palpable, but so was hers when she spotted him. She looked like she wasn't sure he would come.

I didn't expect Boo Jung to be as direct as she was, nor Kang Jae from his reactions. I loved every minute of them together. I commend the storyteller, the director, all the actors, particularly Ryu and Jeon Do Yeon. I understand why she has a reputation of chameleon. Her ability to take on any role and make it her own is unmatched. I am in awe of her. What I like most about these two is that they don't pry, despite being beyond curious, they just let things flow, and when they open up it's impactful, natural, honest, and caring. I liked that she practically asked him why he erased her number. And more that he asked her why she thought about taking her life.

The flow of Boo Jung and Kang Jae's conversations was so intimate, it's like they've always known each other, and hence know what to say to comfort each other. And the more they know each other, the more they like one another. It's hard not to root for them, but more than that I want them to know they are worthy, they are someone, they are powerful and special. I was glad to hear Boo Jung say she regretted ever considering suicide. It says a lot about where she was and is now, but more that she wants to get her life back.

I still cannot help and wonder why Boo Jung's husband can't be with her like he is with Kyung Eun. He's definitely been trying doggedly to get closer to her, but can't seem to reach her. I like him for it, but I suppose too much was left unsaid for way too long. I realize it's hard to talk about these types of things with family members, since you don't want to worry or disappoint them. And, of course, there is the fear of judgment. I just want Boo Jung, Kang Jae, her husband and everyone else in between to be okay, and understand it's okay not to be okay, and it's okay to talk about things.

There is nothing about Min Jung that I like, nothing at all, but to be honest, I didn't try much nor do I want to, and maybe it's because I love Tak-yi so much and don't want her to hurt him or Kang Jae for that matter. But then I think maybe she too is simply seeking her comfort, and my resolve to not like her slowly melts. The same with Kyung Eun. I found comfort in how Woo Nam made it a point to let Soon Gyu know how much she means to him in his own way after their last incident. I could tell how much that eased her mind. Sometimes what people want to hear are simple words, which can heal, but then that goes for everyone in this drama.

There was so much to like in this week's episodes, so much intimacy and openness it made my heart flutter. Be it with Boo Jung and Kang Jae, Min Jung and Tak-yi, or even Woo Nam. For the first time, it seemed like everyone was being honest with themselves. They say first impressions are lasting, but this episode made me realize that not everything we see or think of someone is always true. That there is a story behind every person, there is a reason why they're the way they are -- it gave me hope not only for how things may turn out for Boo Jung and Kang Jae, but also for everyone. And as much as I found joy in their togetherness, as much as I was hurt by their goodbye. I felt as they did too, I am sure something priceless was ending.

Strangely enough, I found my most precious moment of this episode in Boo Jung's mother-in-law. I never thought I would ever feel that way towards her. But I loved that rather than be swayed by what her friends thought, she followed her heart. And as much as I was worried about what Jung Ah Ran may do to Boo Jung from yesterday's preview, I found I was more worried for her and couldn't help but feel sadness for her. Despite her best efforts, her biggest issue has always been by her side. And I guess that's why they say you can hide, but you can't run forever. There comes a time when one must face their demons, and in one way or another they all will have to at some point.

I appreciate Lost as a work of fiction more than I realized. And what I appreciate most is how delicately and with measured sensitivity brings awareness of the importance of dialoging about depression, suicide, and everything else in between, and that it isn't something to be taken lightly. It's a state of mind over body, regardless of how trivial the trigger may seem to the person going through it's not; it seems like the end of the world. Most of the time, people with mental health issues need a listening ear, one without judgment. And as straightforward as it sounds, it's the hardest thing because of the expectations they have of themselves, but also of their families and loved ones. It's a cycle that only open, honest, and non-judgmental dialogue can help break. Watch episode 11 & 12 here.