Lost -- Episode 3: Fate Finds a Way

What I like most about Lost, other than the way the story is told, is that it brings one of the most prominent issues that afflict everyone the same regardless of status, class, age, gender, religion, ethnicity, or race to the forefront, the feeling of inadequacy. Being ignored, as they say, the worst feeling in the world isn't being lonely; it's being forgotten. I'm sure that's how Jeong Woo Kang Jae's friend must've felt -- invisible, ignored, and abandoned. Everyone has a secret sorrow, which the world knows nothing about. And often times, the world calls them cold when all they are is sad.

I suppose that's why Jeong Woo's sister was quick to judge him without attempting to know his story. It's like they say, one shouldn't judge someone's choice when they don't understand their reason. I loved how Kang Jae comforted Boo Jung; rather than make her feel ashamed, he let her know she was not alone. He practically told her that some days may feel like it's hard to keep going, but that she must stay strong if for nobody else herself. The reality of it all; I can only imagine how overwhelming it must feel to be lonely, even in a crowd. It may not feel like it when one has a tough time, but it's true, time heals almost everything if one gives time some time.

Everybody in this drama, even Jin Jung Soo (Boo Jung's husband), Kyung Eun, and Jung Ah Ran, despite not seeming so, appear to have their own complicated history. It makes sense then that they would each resort to their own drastic measures of relief. For Jung Soo and Kyung Eun, it's trying to find comfort in their first loves, and for Jung Ah Ran, it's hiring someone to do away with her embarrassment, ruining someone she's already ruined with her utter disregard, believing she has the privilege to do so solely for being rich and famous. What's funny, though, is that despite the world being such an enormous place, it can seems like such a small space. In the person she hires in her bid to destroy Boo Jung is Kang Jae. As they say, fate has a weird way of circling back over paths meant to cross. Lost exceeds my expectation in its storytelling, acting, and directing -- exceptionally well casted.

Watching the events of this drama unfold, I fully understand the saying that there are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds. And I am reminded of something I read once that depression isn’t a straightforward response to a hurtful situation. Depression is like the weather, one can't change it by wishing it away. It's uncontrollable. It can be dark and dreary one day that it almost feels like the sun will never shine again, but shine it will, and it does. It's the same with moods. The wrong approach is to believe or make others believe it's an illusion. Depression, anxiety, listlessness - these are all real, as real as the weather, and equally not under anyone's control. It's no one's fault, and especially not the person going through it. Watch episode 3 here.

0 comments