top of page

Monthly Magazine House -- Episodes 3 & 4: Differing Perspectives

What works for me with Monthly Magazine is the excellent chemistry between Young Won and Ja Sung embedded in their constant bickering. They are more so much more alike than either of them think. That may be the charm of them.

And despite Young Won’s impression of Ja Sung, she acknowledges that he is good at what he does, which inspires her to start saving towards buying her own home and the belief that if he did, she too could make it. What didn’t work for me this episode was the selfish and callous way Editor-in-Chief Choi Go (Kim Won Hae) and Editor Nam (Ahn Chang Hwan) pressured Young Won because she saved some money into paying for coffee or drinks for the office. But what was worse their persistence despite Ja Sung’s endless efforts to get Young Won out of it.

Although I understand the Korean work culture and the reluctance of junior staff members to refuse requests from their seniors, I wanted Young Won to speak her mind rather than give in to pressure time and time again. I love how disciplined she’s been now that she’s found a purpose. So, I would love to see her be that fearless person who confronted that good-for-nothing ex-boyfriend, openly getting angry, pushing back rather than be that person who represses her emotions to conform. I wish she had told her ex-boyfriend’s wife the truth about him. She deserved to know what she's married to, the way he handled Young Won when he thought she would tell on him; he for sure has psychotic tendencies. That was scary; it required more than just a mere apology.

It might just be me, but I think this drama didn't need a potential love triangle angle nor the pain, jealousy, and anger that comes with it to affect the remarkable relationship between Shin Gyeom (Jung Gun Joo) and Ja Sung or Shin Gyeon and Young Won. I wish he told her the truth rather than try and appeal to her by pretending to be poor too. I am sure it wasn’t intentional, but it’s bound to come back and bite him when she finds out the truth about him.

Monthly Magazine does a great job of showing us what having a home means to our characters. Ja Sung believes homes are financial transactions, whereas Young Won thinks it’s a haven, space where one can be true to themselves. To Editor Nam, it symbolizes gaining the respect of his loved one. At the same time, Editor Eui Joo (Chae Jung An) a home is a nicely decorated space where she can show off her prized belongings even if it meant her working as an escort on the side to make ends meet. On the other hand, to Shin Gyeon, it’s wherever he can be free to do and be what he wants. I wonder whether these vastly differing perspectives will at some point change as they all get to know each other better; that will be interesting. Watch Episodes 3 & 4 here.