top of page

Mouse -- Episode 19 & 20 (Finale): The Monster they Made and Broke

By far the best episode of the series. I fully understand no parent wants their child to be a predator but that the nurse (Kang Chan Yang) and Sung Ji Eun (Kim Jung Nan) allowed themselves to be swayed by Daniel Lee's prediction rather than hang on to the 1% possibility that they may not be born with the gene is unfortunate.

Everybody from the parents to the doctors and even the government failed both Yo Han and Ba Reum and Ba Reum most of all. They used them and disposed of them like they were trash. The minute Daniel Lee broadcasted, they both had the psychopathic gene as fetuses; they were doomed even before they were born. And if their own parents couldn't love, nurture, and raise them with the unconditional love they deserved, why would anyone else have cared what happened to them.

I was not surprised that Han Seo Jun (Ahn Jae Wook) knew Jung Ba Reum was his son when he decided to kill Yo Han to give his son half of his brain to keep his legacy going. That's all he cares about, really. Try as I have, I can't wait for the life of my find it in me to sympathize with Choi Hong Joo (Kyung Soo Jin) even with the glimpse in her guilt-ridden past. I understand she's had or felt she'd had a huge burden to carry, but the choices she made had her parents living in a painfully anguished life, believing they lost both their daughters to something as awful as murder. How about the guilt they've had and continue to live with; how could've she not once considered them and their misery. And as a parent, she should've at least grasped the measure of their distress and come clean to them.

I don't care what anyone says about him; yes, he's a psychopath but that he cares about those two was beyond evident. So many, in my opinion, failed him and Yo Han so very badly, starting with their parents who couldn't love them for who they were rather than what they could be to the doctors and even the society in general. And it's so sad that so many had to die as the government in the pursuit to I don't know what exactly prodded and pushed the susceptible in society to their doom. Because make no mistake Ba Reum is but a product of his environment and, more exactly, the government that made him. They became the very monsters and predators they called themselves fighting.

I really want Ba Reum to direct his rage towards those who used him and do unto each and everyone, starting with Secretary Choi Young Shin, the grandest predator of them all, what was done to him. In the end, though, I saw no scenario where Ba Reum got out of his predicament alive. Even as Moo Chi finally grasped the magnitude of what the government had done. I understood how everybody felt broken for Yo Han for the hopeless life he lived and how he died, but I was more broken for Jung Ba Reum. He never had a chance of becoming anything other than what everyone perceived him to be from before he was born. His father's one good thing ever did for him was give him part of Yo Han's brain, and that in itself was ironic. I was glad his end was at the hand of the very son he so willfully tried to save.

The atrocious things Daniel Lee planted in everybody's mind with the psychopathic gene was the beginning of the end as far as I am concerned. And even if he wasn't responsible for how everyone behaved after, he for sure was for the power of the suggestion. It's a fact that not all psychopaths are criminals and that some psychopathic traits link to success. So, rather than work so hard to try and pass into law aborting fetuses and whatnot, wouldn't it have been more meaningful if they'd worked just as hard at ensuring these fetuses became upstanding members of society as they did, making them into predators.

In the end, all Ba Reum ever wanted was for someone to love him, hug him, and let him know he wasn't a monster; isn't what we all ever want; as they say, whatever people plant in their subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion is what one day becomes a reality--the power of suggestion. Kudos to Lee Seung Gi for a job beyond well done in one of the most complicated roles I have ever seen him do. And if Seung Gi was excellent, Lee Hee Joon was phenomenal. Kudos as well to the production team, all the actors, director, and editor. Mouse has been nothing but intriguing to the end. It only goes to prove monsters are made, not born. Watch Mouse Here.