top of page

Taxi Driver -- Episode 10: Does the End Justify the Means?

The end justifies the means. Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing to get the right result ~ Sebastian Fitzek.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but what an episode. I am all for avenging all forms of fraudsters and scammers. Lee Je Hoon in fur was a treat, and that accent, the whole episode was hysterical. The acts of revenge they allot are always intricately planned; they never cease to amaze. The credit goes to a tightly plotted, enthralling, and altogether addictive story coupled with top-notch actors and a director that wonderfully articulates everything on screen. More importantly, for raising awareness of important and very current issues affecting many globally. And whether one believes vigilantism is justified or not, it is sometimes in the eyes of those that seek it their last resort. So, in that sense, I commend Taxi Driver for raising questions that society and even the justice system should reflect upon the conditions that give rise to frustration and anger, which may justify vigilantism.

I can only imagine the helplessness one feels after being scammed and especially of their life savings; the anxiety, shame, embarrassment, guilt, exasperated by anger, depression, fear, grief, distrust, and insecurity. It’s one of the worst crimes because, often, scammers are never found, let alone punished for their crimes, and the victims are left carrying the emotional impact for a long time. So, for someone to take it upon themselves to avenge such a depleting crime on behalf of the afflicted is a blessing in disguise. They are to be revered, not punished, at least not in my book. And boy, did I enjoy how this case’s revenge worked so seamlessly, especially how effortlessly Do Ki played the ringleader, nothing more fulfilling than seeing the scammers scammed.

And as much as I appreciate Taxi Deluxe and Blue Bird for the enormous good, they do, and I do thoroughly believe they do as much as I’m against Sung Chul’s choice of hunting criminals who’ve already paid their dues to society regardless of whether the punishment fits the crime or not. Then how different is he from those he seeks to avenge; not very. As they say, whoever fights monsters should see that he does not become a monster in the process. Because if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Although Taxi Deluxe exacts more justice than the system built for that very purpose, leading to the apprehension if not the demise of serious criminals, the fact remains that Sung Chul, Do Ki, and the team is breaking the law. In the eyes of Kang Ha Na and the prosecution, they need to be stopped. So, in that sense, I don't fault Ha Na for doing her job, particularly since she doesn’t know why or what they do. On the contrary, I would’ve found it weird if she doesn’t pursue them as disciplined as she in her convictions. But I think if the law dispensed half the justice Taxi Deluxe did, there wouldn't be a need for their services; in the eyes of the law, they may be mere criminals, but to the many, they've helped, they are heroes. Watch Episode 10 here.