top of page

Taxi Driver -- Episode 3: Not Everyone Deserves Forgiveness

"We all lose when bullying and personal attacks become a substitute for genuine conversation and principled disagreement" ~ Alicia Garza.

Forgiveness is the furthest thing from Jang Sung Chul’s mind, not for his parent’s killer nor for any of the other killers he sets his tentacles on, and as long as he continues to hold the grudge, he will never set himself free from his self-imposed prison. Because as they say to forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you all along. But then, not everyone deserves forgiveness, nor should they be forgiven.

It bothered me that Kang Ha Na was able to find Deluxe Taxi as fast as she did. I thought, how could someone as smart as Sung Chul made it so obvious; I should’ve known not only does he have an ironclad plan with his revenge services but an impenetrable one; he has the perfect cover in the Blue Bird Foundation. That not only helps victims of crime but helps him build a public image and forge close relationships with prosecutors and others alike that protect his revenge services and allows him pertinent information to use when exacting his clients’ revenge. He is brilliant, and what better way to get a fierce prosecutor on one’s side than rope her in with a case that brings her to the edge of the law.

Even though I knew the revenge cases might worsen as we got along. Bullying and discrimination, now that is one thing I cannot tolerate. Be it vocal as in bullying and name-calling or silent as in ignoring those actions just because someone is different. Even as I say this, I fully recognize that bullying is not about the bullied but more about the bullier's insecurities in their own environment. As bad as Maria’s circumstance was, Jung Min and his mothers' affected me even more. That he asked for help from the school and the police, but no one tried to help, let alone listened, is despicable. Children should have the ability to live a life free from bullying and harassment and not be marginalized by those with power. I’m all for revenge; those bullies deserve it and more. I can’t wait to see what the deluxe taxi team has in store for the bullies, parents, schools, and the police.