top of page

Taxi Driver -- Episode 4: A Taste of One's Own Medicine

"Mistakes are always forgivable if one has the courage to admit them" ~ Bruce Lee.

I look at how dehumanized people can get in the face of unthinkable crimes and see why a service like Deluxe Taxi came about and why it feels justified, especially in the face of the injustices Jung suffered that he contemplates suicide. So, in that sense, I thoroughly enjoyed the deluxe teams’ revenge plan for him. I liked that rather than using violence, they used the same threatening behavior the bullies used to teach them a lesson. It worked like a charm. It’s so true when they say sometimes you have to give people a taste of their own medicine for them to know how it feels to be treated the way they treat others.

Everybody has a story, and try as I have, I cannot seem to figure Baek Sung Mi out. I get the sense there is more to her than just a loan shark who runs a nightclub and pleasure bar. It almost feels like she is one of Sung Chul’s recruits not in the revenge service but the hunting, capture, and imprisonment side business he runs alongside the Deluxe Taxi. The why and how is what I’m not entirely sure of yet. I wonder if the man she had her girls' service has anything to do with the business she has with Sung Chul or her personally; he seems to be influential; either way, I can't wait for a flashback into her story. That the deluxe team through the Blue Foundation does good is indisputable, but at the same time, the fact that Sung Chul is involved in something cruel and unthinkable is also quite evident, blurring the good with the evil.

I cannot stop thinking how ironic it is that Sung Chul has a bible scripture as a motto "do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good'' hanging up in his office. It so belies where he and his team's mindset is with the service they provide. But at the same time, the horrors that the team must've suffered to agree to be a part of the service must be incomprehensible. And if Sung-Chul and Do Gi’s plights are any indications, I can only imagine what pain the rest carry. It’s quite evident the world they each live in is a dark one, where justice was hard to come by, if at all, but just as they seek to serve justice for the marginalized, so does Prosecutor Han Na; the only difference is she wants it within the law even as elusive as it’s been. I wonder how long before she finds them out, or will she be affected enough by then to even care. Watch Episode 4 here.