top of page

You Are My Spring -- Episodes 11 & 12: Love Hurts, but it Shouldn't Have to be That Way

Ian Chase looking for articles on trauma that leads to sadism is quite telling; does he suspect himself of having a sadistic personality disorder, I wonder. Maybe I shouldn't, but I couldn't help but hurt for Ian Chase/Chae Jun, well, the boy and now the man in him, he's been through so much, hasn't even been over with his childhood trauma, and now has to deal with new ones.

What does Ian know that whoever is doing this is still after him, or is it even him they are after; I'm starting to believe Ian Chase is the one that died. The last thing he said to Da Jung when he had pinned to the wall made me suspect that. I still can't figure out what he is, but it feels like he's in so much pain that he can't help but want to hurt others, especially Young Do, for not being abandoned. Da Jung has her family, the twins, and a new friend in Ga Young; Young Do has his friends, but Ian has no one. He seems so alone. At times it hurts just looking at him.

On a happier note, I am all over Ha Neul and Jin Ho. I love their little moments together, she's such a tough cookie, but incredibly she gets so awkward she gets around him. His is already awkward, and with her awkwardness, it feels like they click. Han Neul's reaction, while she was reading the apology letter, was the best, but hers when she saw him with Eun Ha was even better. I hope this doesn't mean he's developing something for Eun Ha. I like her with Da Jung's brother better. Seeing Da Jung and Young Do happy and flirty feels so good, but at the same time, I can't help but feel anxious, especially with that heart comment from Ian. It hurts seeing the pain they all live with but glad they are all finally talking about it in a way, be it Da Jung and her family and everybody else too.

The story of Ian and Chae Jun seems to get convoluted by the minute. It looks like everyone wanted and still wants a piece of them, from those who were a part of Nanum Jeil Church to the homeless man and this Vice-Chairwoman who wants Ian to murder the Chairman (I assume he's her husband). She had been spying on Chae Jun before and now Ian, and even had Attorney Noh keep tabs on him; I'm not even sure what to make of it all, but one thing is for sure Chae Jun didn't commit suicide. It all just seems too much to be a coincidence.

Just as I like the simplicity of Da Jung and Young Do's relationship, I like his and her mother's and the ease with which they talk to each other, but I figured his health might be an issue at some point. I understood why Young Do didn't want to worry Da Jung, but I agree with Eun Ha; it's up to Da Jung to decide, and I hoped her mother would get that too. I have to say Seo Hyun Jin as Da Jung is outstanding. The scene with her mom on the phone was out of this world. I lived her pain. He breaks up with Da Jung to honor her mom and her him -- love hurts, but it shouldn't have to be that way. If it were me in Da Jung's situation, I would rather be miserable with Young Do in my life for as long as I can have him than miserable without him. Watch episodes 11 & 12 here.