top of page

Law School -- Episodes 12 & 13: The Smooth Wheels of Justice

The true measure of the justice of a system is the amount of protection it guarantees to the weakest ~ Aung San Suu Kyi.

Undoubtedly this weeks' episodes were the best for Professor Yang and his students. Everything in this flowed like butter; I loved seeing our team winning and winning big for a change. I mean to have Ye Seul found innocent was terrific but to see Professor Yang's murder indictment thrown out was an even bigger relief. And all in just one episode. I jumped for joy when the fickle jury came back with a non-guilty verdict. Ye Seul is lucky to have the group of friends she has; they all contributed to that verdict, each in their own way but her most of all. They say a clear and innocent conscience fears nothing. And this was remarkably true of Professor Yang.

As great as it was to finally see both Ye Suel and Professor cleared of the accusations leveled against them, I was more glad to see the drama professionally and seamlessly undertake some very controversial matters from self-defense and partner sexual abuse to exam cheating and plagiarizing, but not only tackle the issues but articulate that choices have consequences. It's exactly the kind of awareness I love seeing a show raise especially when it comes to breaking the barriers of accepted societal norms. Kudos to the cast, director, scriptwriter, and the whole production team for a job well done.

Try as I have, I can't see Kang Sol B's confession as character development since the only reason she confessed to plagiarizing Professor Seo's paper was because she knew Professor Yang and Joon Hwi had her and not that she felt guilt or even shame for it. Still, I will take that since it sadly appears to be the best Kang Sol B can do. I appreciated Joon Hwi for asking the school to give her a second chance, but she doesn't deserve it. As they say, remorse is not just a true regret of consequences but a regret of motive. I don't see remorse in her, and as her father told Dean Oh Jeong Hee (Kil Hae Yeon), the school should punish her according to her crime. I hope they do.

What a stark difference the two Kang Sol have been since the start of this drama, not just in their approach but how they live their lives; one believes her smarts transcend the consequences of her choices while the other is all about fair justice even in the face injustices committed against her. Kang Sol A remains the brightest star in this bunch Han Joon Hwi, notwithstanding. I love how principled and passionate Sol A is; it's a far better trait to have than book smarts, as the show has proven time and time again. And, of course, I cannot leave Professor Kim (Lee Jung Eun) out. She's been the glue keeping everything and everyone intact, be it Professor Yang or the students. I appreciate Law School making many of the characters morally ambiguous; it appears real-like because nothing or no one in life is strictly black and white; life is a million shades of grey.

I was glad to know I was right about Prosecutor Bae Sim-Won (Hwang Jung-Min) being by the book and appreciated the drama taking the extra step to prove through her character that good justice keepers far outweigh the bad ones. Of course, it would've been far better if she had refused to indict Ye Suel, to begin with, since she knew the evil that was the Ko family, but one takes wins where they can get them. Seeing how recent events unfolded, I remain skeptical of Lee Man-Ho's guilt in Professor Seo's murder, despite all the evidence, and him getting attacked while in custody proves there's more to the story. I was not at all surprised to see that Assemblyman Ko is smack dab in the middle of everything. He's proven himself to be a villain capable of anything. If we could only tie up some loose ends with Kang Dan, James (Lee Man-Ho's son), Sol A, Joon Hwi, find the true killer and ensure Prosecutor Jin is punished for his antics, I will be a happy camper. Watch episodes 12 & 13 here.